1. Children respond to adults talking to them and not screaming- giving them reasons why you are making the parental decisions you are- and delivering your message in a not threatening way.
Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
2. Marriage is often the lives of two selfish people trying to covertly get their way- it never works. Choose to be sacrificial or don’t get married.
3. Friends can fill in the holes that others you expected to fill cannot. But they are not more important than those you are kin to. Learn to know who is what in your life, love them fully and don’t expect any one person to be your everything. No completes you but God.
4. Kin doesn’t make them good. Love them anyway. I am lucky to come from good stock. That doesn’t mean everyone does. Learn to love your family members for everything they are, and the lessons they will teach you. Just because they are family though, does not make them king. Be careful who you give power too in your life.
5. Say yes to everything. You will be frazzled and stressed and people might even give you a hard time when you don’t get everything just right. Oddly, these are the same people who will tell you that you have the most amazing life and ask you how do the things that come your way, come your way. Just keep doing your thing. It is okay to have a full life if that is How God wired you.
6. On that note, know when to take a break and run away. Go off the grid. Shut out everything that keeps you from the Lord. Turn into family- unless they are the ones making you crazy. Then just go off by yourself for a bit to recharge and heal.
7. Music can heal the soul. It can trigger too: bad memories or better times. Do be careful and choose lyrics and melody that uplift. Songs that take your mind back to an old boyfriend the morning after you and your husband fight over money is just plain foolish.
8. Circle yourself with those that lift you and inspire. If they don’t, be brave enough to work them out of your circle. Choose well, live well.
Proverbs 13:20 He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm.
9. Don’t let other people’s self-destructive behaviors turn on you. Guard your heart and home.
10. Not everyone needs your help. As equally as I say to choose your friends wisely, choose your service to others wisely too. Some people need to have life teach them their lesson and when you step in and take over, they never learn. They don’t change or grow.
11. Whatever you make important in your life, that is your master. Whether you like it or not.
12. God IS real. He is alive. He is not in some spiritual guru or some transcendent feeling you have between your loss and existentialism and your sexuality. He is real. Present. LORD of All. He is the creator of everything. He is the Divine Master and those who choose Him as theirs, choose life like no other.
Listen to the Life Lessons Podcast for more!